Boost your mood with these top tips this winter!
Hollie Farley, East Sussex County Council
20 December 2017
Christmas can be a challenging time for stress levels but there are ways that you can manage this.
Not only does physical activity release the feel-good chemicals, endorphins, which help you to relax, feel happy and boost your mood but recent research has also indicated that regular exercise can help to boost our immune systems, enabling us to better fight off colds and flu viruses that are prolific in winter months. The Mental Health Foundation have published their top five ways to stay active over Christmas and we think they are fantastic way to seek out those mood boosting endorphins over the festive season! Five ways to stay active over the Christmas period
- Go ice-skating! At this time of year there are ice rinks to be enjoyed in Hastings, Brighton and Tunbridge Wells.
- Go for a winter walk! It is a less strenuous form of exercise than going for a hard-core session in the gym.
- Prefer to be indoors? Why not dance to some festive tunes. A fun way to burn off the Christmas turkey!
- Take advantage of the Christmas weather. If it snows perhaps build a snowman or have a snowball fight.
- Do activities as a family. Over indulgence is hard to avoid around Christmas so why not decide to go for a winter walk with all the family after dinner. We are blessed with so many fantastic walking routes around the County whether you prefer staying away from the mud and taking in the sea breeze or donning you wellies for a woodland walk there is something nearby to suit!